Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus Comparison

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:11:03 -0800

On February 9, 2005 10:59 pm, Bastian Schwittay wrote:
I've been using F-Secure Antivirus for a while now, and I must say it's
very fast, the firewall and IDS included in some versions are a bit
tricky to configure, but the AV alone is great.

Note the ISS advisories on F-Secure (And Symantec) AV.
Make sure you update.

Alex Wheeler and Neil Mehta who discovered the issue(s)
will be giving a presentation entitled "Owning Anti-Virus"
at CanSecWest giving more details. This issue is particularly
nasty as the virus scanners will _execute_ the virus by
scanning it. This also means that reception of email without
user interaction is sufficient to trigger bad things...

I'm told Kasperski and others use the F-Secure Engine.

cheers,
--dr

P.s. Without prejudice, not to pick on just those two vendors,
I think there are other issues they have discovered.
--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Vancouver, Canada       May 4-6 2005  http://cansecwest.com