Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DHCP Appliance based on MAC Authentication

From: Paul Farrington <paul.farrington () goldmedal co uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:48:14 -0000

Im not sure what you intend to do with this apparent "MAC authentication" I
would presume your going down the route of, "only MACs that you know about
can receive a DHCP address" I,e to protect your LAN from for instance, a
Hacker entering your building and plugging there laptop into your LAN.  If
your DHCP is configured with Reservations they of course won't be issued one
as they are an unknown MAC.

HOWEVER, You have a trade off here of management & functionality versus
exploitability, consider this,, you have 1000s of P.Cs and Laptops, you need
a central database / spreadsheet to manage all the info, plus the time
involved in creating all the reservations, time involved in creating new
reservations, each time a new p.c is bought, AND each time a NIC is replaced
in a P.C... Then you have the time involved to create Helpdesk Processes so
that the Helpdesk give you all this information when necessary... AND FOR
WHAT??? Cos you think you've secured your LAN? Until, someone walks in
either spoofs there MAC to obtain a DHCP address, or even worse, uses Arp
Poisoning and a MAC scanner to act as a router between your clients and
gateway.  It all ends up being a wasted effort.

To me the management isn't worth the effort, especially when its so easily
exploitable and not at all secure.

Regarding the products though, im fairly sure that functionality has been
available on all DHCP servers from Microsoft since NT4. (DNT quote me on
that)

Ta

Paul Farrington