Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Steps to avoid Social Engineering

From: "Sanders, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Sanders () healthsouth com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:45:26 -0500

I would be leery of using Caller ID. Depending upon a couple technical
specifications and which piece of information your local phone co. is
using to provide Caller ID, Caller ID can be spoofed very easily using
VoIP. All someone would have to do is set up an Asterisk gateway
(http://www.asterisk.org/) at their office or house even and spoof the
Caller ID. I've had this done to me many times just by various "friends"
and it's quite interesting. They could appear to "be" any number they
wanted to be. One guy even called me from my OWN number. Just a thought
for anyone who uses Caller ID to authenticate or verify identity.