Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Steps to avoid Social Engineering

From: "Patoff Pat-EtHiQ" <patoff22 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:32:45 +0000

A good and easy way, if the third party company has a wesite or a specific phone call at there office. If you know that phone you can recall the person at this number and ask for him, if we reject the case he hijack the phone...

With internet the third party may have a specific domain that you can wrote to him and they will reply to you to assert it's really him...

To avoid S-E when you don't see a person it's often base on a 'physical way' to prove the identity..

Hope it helps

Pat
-------------------

Hello y'all,

     I have a question for you guys (and gals). We all know about social
engineering. Some of us use it on a daily basis. And we all know how
it can be even more dangerous than any computerized attacks, but how
can we protect against it?

     I'll give you an example: we have a database based program that
was written by and maintained by a third party that is in another
city. In the past when they needed access for maintenance, we would
provide them it via VPN. Recently there has been a problem so they
were contacted. Earlier today someone from that company phoned me to
discuss details about the VPN. I haven't given them any information
yet. In this case I am fairly positive it is legit since they knew the
company that we use as well as who lodged the complaint.

     But how could I get this person (or any one in the future) prove
to me that they are the people who are they say they are? Any advice?

Tabs