Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Steps to avoid Social Engineering

From: "David" <david () clicksee net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:32:15 +0700

Any security system can be beat. The key is to use a multi-layered
approach to security to make it more costly to the hacker in terms of
time and frustration than your data is worth. There are plenty of
sitting ducks out there they can go rob more conveniently.

I suggest you use a retinal scan & fingerprint ID with quantum
encryption as a precursor to them calling you and then when they call
act like you've never heard of them before. If they are a hacker they'll
assume they've stolen the wrong identity and hang-up. If they are
indignantly surprised they are legit. Alternately, answer the phone in a
foreign language and require your customer to respond in a DIFFERENT
foreign language based on which language you initiate with. For example,
if you speak Thai they must answer in German but if you initiate in
Swedish then they must answer in Hindi. The language initiation and
response schedule should change hourly as well so the former sequence of
languages would only be good for one hour before changing. You should
learn to say, "Hello, how are you?"/"I'm fine but a little sleepy
today," in at least 12 different languages. You can keep your customers
appraised with an online web app as to which language they should
respond in. Don't even get me started on how you should secure that
thing though...

If you are still feeling a little insecure simply reject a third of all
callers "for security reasons" and make them change their password
online and call you back.

Sorry... I have been trying to puzzle this problem out and can't think
of anything. Maybe there is something helpful you can pull from all this
nonsense above.