Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN between WinXP and OpenBSD (sometimes works and sometimes doesn't)

From: "Dan Tesch" <dan.tesch () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:05:28 -0500

I am fighting a similar issue currently but only with MS RDC to XP Pro Workstations. I have been viewing this as a potential MTU or MSS issue causing the problems. Anyone have some additional
insight?  (100% Comcast home users).

Hi all,

I have this situation.
I've made a VPN station on OpenBSD box. Some clients connecting to it are
using Windows XP and some are using Windows server 2003. Connections between
Windows server 2003 and OpenBSD work fine, but connections between Windows
XP and OpenBSD sometimes work fine, but sometimes when bigger files are
being copied, on Windows XP pops out the error "the network resource is no
longer available", though ping is working perfectly (there are no any
time-outs) and I still can copy smaller files... I don't understand, what
could be a problem?

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security professionals. Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en