Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: free hIDS, or system assessment tools

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:58:03 -0400

See www.CISecurity.org and the benchmarking download tools there.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Loh" <kj6loh () yahoo com>
To: "Fahad Al-Suwais" <suwaisfa () alrajhibank com sa>;
<security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: free hIDS, or system assessment tools

How system assesment, from security standpoint (scan for vulns), hardware
standpoint (something like norton syscheck), what standpoint do you want the
system assessment from?  Since this is a security group, I'll assume its
from
the security standpoint.

rkhunter scans for potential rootkits
iss, cops, tiger they are all old (90's) but still good.
--- Fahad Al-Suwais <suwaisfa () alrajhibank com sa> wrote:

Dear...

As I know snort is nIDS, nessus is network assessment tool

But
Is there any free System Assessment tools for windows and *nix
Is there any free System or host IDS for windows and *nix

Please if you know any products let me know

Regards,

-
Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class
sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills
of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html