Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: free hIDS, or system assessment tools

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 17:45:54 -0000

Is there any free System Assessment tools for windows and *nix
Is there any free System or host IDS for windows and *nix

There are a couple of (free) ways to go about this, particularly on Windows systems...

For system assessment, I'd recommend:
nmap - http://www.insecure.org
ATK - http://www.computec.ch/projekte/atk/

If you know what you're assessing against, Perl can be used to implement WMI as well as make other calls to the system
in order to obtain the necessary information for your assessment...and even update the system to bring it in compliance.

Perl can also be used to implement free monitoring/hIDS.  For example, if you set your audit policy appropriately, use
something like wmievt.pl (http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html) to send Event Log entries off of the system as they
are generated.  From the same site, you can use FSW.pl to watch for file system changes.

HTH,

H. Carvey
http://www.windows-ir.com