Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: Darren Kirby <bulliver () badcomputer no-ip com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:17:41 -0700

quoth the dante hicks:
i might be missing something, but that would be almost identical to putting
a patchless windows 98 box directly on the internet.  either disable
*every* service (httpd,rpc,etcetc), or don't consider that option. surely
she can handle a single password (or two, root + unpriv user)?  then have
her unpriv user store all the passwords she might ever need (email, ebay,
whatever) through the client.

zero intervention needed, and still secure.

You have missed something :)

Unlike windows, I have considerable knowledge of setting up and securing Linux
boxes. Of course I will turn all unneeded services off, of course I will set
up an Iptables firewall that drops *everything* not instantiated from her
box, of course I will set up a strong root and user password. I also have a
tendency to patch all my kernels with grsecurity, which adds the additional
security of random pids, random IP ids, random TCP source ports, and best of
all, PAX to prevent execution of arbitrary code (ie: remote exploits) among a
whole host of additional features.

I am simply saying I am going to set up KDM to fire up automatically at boot
and drop her at the desktop without intervention. As I said, physical
security of the box is not important, she lives alone...

-d
--
Part of the problem since 1976
http://badcomputer.no-ip.com