Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Allowing scanning from home

From: Richard Ellis <richardellis108 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:51:24 -0700 (PDT)

At our site, we installed a DSL link, so that (from
within) we can test access to our network "from the
cloud." A limited number of internal ports can connect
to the DSL modem (one at any time). Our intent was to
assist with troubleshooting DNS, Web pages, etc.,
since sometimes public users of our services
experience problems which we cannot replicate from the
inside. I imagine this could be used to scan our
network as well.

--- mike () genxweb net wrote:

I would not think it is a good idea to run from ah
ome machine. there is no
telling what might be installed on their machine or
how secure their network
is. I suggest for outside scans to contact a
profesional company or purchase a
dedicated or co-located server designed for this
purpose.

Quoting ericaldrc51 () netscape net:

What's the group's consensus on allowing security
staff to scan the company's
external interfaces from their home, to get a true
external assessment.  I
personally don't agree with this for audit and
other reasons.  Just looking
for some other professional viewpoints.  Thx.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Search from anywhere on the Web and block those
annoying pop-ups.

 Download now at
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp