Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Defense in Depth

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () rocsys com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:05:18 +0530

Hi Ronsih,
Why do you prefer two firewalls? Does that mean are you not confident enough with the first firewall capabilities!!

-Ravi

Ronish Mehta wrote:
Hi List,

I have a network setup with 2 firewalls

There is a DMZ on the Internet facing firewall

The servers on this DMZ contains servers that host
both "http" and "https" pages

There are no DMZ on the second firewall

From what I understand, this setup is not providing
defense in depth, at least not full defense in depth

I wanted to create a DMZ on the second firewall, and
move servers that host "HTTPS" pages to this new DMZ

Would this new setup improve the security of the
network?

Thanks for comments,

Ronish