Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Is this normal?

From: "Andrew Shore" <andrew.shore () holistecs com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:01:53 +0100

This is far too common.

A few simple security tips may help.

1. Do not allow root any remote access; create a user and su if you need
root privilege

2. Unless you need to access the firewall from the outside block ssh
traffic from the outside interface via the firewall software

I wouldn't be too worried if you are seeing this traffic blocked, its
when it gets through there's a problem.

Andy