Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux hacked

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

Both AIDE and Tripwire will do that for you.  The advantage of this is that you
do not have to rely on your own code especially if you do not know how to
program.  Even if you know how to program this will prevent you from having to
reinvent the wheel.  But as with all security programs KNOW what they do before
using them.
--- Matt Arntsen <Matt.Arntsen () FranklinCovey com> wrote:

I would also suggest using a simple script in the future that alerts
when a file is changed, like passwd or shadow. I just wrote a simple
script that performs an MD5 hash on certain files and then compares the
hash every few minutes to a master hash and alerts me via page or email
when the two hashes don't match. The important thing to remember when
doing this is to have the master MD5 hash results on a read-only medium,
like a cd and have it in your cd drive where, when the scripts is run,
is mounted, hashes compared and then unmounted. This may draw some
criticism from more advanced users but it is a good start in ensuring
you know when something has changed. It does not prevent things from
changing. Maybe setting the immutable bit might slow them down a bit.
Good luck.

matt