Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is this normal?

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:50:58 -0700 (PDT)

I thought ssh did not send cleartext?  Granted you can see source and
destination and the fact that they are using ssh if you sniff when the session
is starting, but no passwords are sent cleartext.  But you'd be able to see
that anyway.  Though I think someone here mentioned in the ssh, not openssh,
implementation there is a provision to send things in cleartext, though that
has to be configured.

Sure you can use hostkeys.  hostkeys will verify that you are logging in from a
certain host.  But I also recomend you use passwords.

--- bp1974 () comcast net wrote:

* Disable clear text services (telnet,ssh etc.)