Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: radius+ wireless

From: "Brett Zink" <Brett.Zink () harborfund com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:28:51 -0500

Yes, your configuration is very insecure. WEP is very easily crack-able. Wireless as with anything else needs levels of
security to protect it. You can't count on just WEP, or just WPA. One additional solution I have seen used by ISPs to
secure their customer's wireless is this... Since the ISP is providing the service, the ISP takes responsibility for
the customer's router configuration. At the time of hookup, the DHCP server on the router is only configured to give
out a limited number of addresses. If 4 users in the house will be using the router, than it is configured to give out
addresses from 10.24.0.10 - 10.24.0.13. Add this technique to WPA, access control lists, MAC filtering and other
security precautions and your network should be a bit more secure.