Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: radius+ wireless

From: Matvei Kliuchnikov <matvei.kliuchnikov () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:04:22 -0800

Quoth Gaspar de Elías on 11/17/2004 2:18 PM:
hello
I'm an isp, and i'm providing internet to my customers via wireless,
authenticating with a radius server on freeBSD. My question is the
folowing: Can somebody sniff the wireless conections, crack WEP
alghoritm, and cheat his mac and ip addresses in order to steal
information from one of my customers?
A friend told me that doing this is incredibly easy, so i'm investigating.
What should i implement to make my wireless lan more secure?

WEP is completely useless these days. Yes, your current setup is
easily crackable.

802.1x is the way to go. Do some Googling and you'll find lots of info.

For example: http://campuswide.cofc.edu/
This college is using 802.1x and PEAP for secure authentication.