Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: radius+ wireless

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:58:58 -0600

Hello,

Assuming from your e-mail that you are using 802.11b w/ WEP enabled. Long story short - it is possible to crack using off-the-shelf (non-expensive) equipment. I'm making assessment of my network with such equipment (notebook, PCMCIA wireless card, and Linux) and tried how hard it is to crack into a WLAN. It is fairly easy - if your network is busy enough (try to google for AirSnort).

Now here is the reason: WEP uses RC4 stream encryption engine to encrypt data. In order for this to be "secure" the key it uses for encryption shouldn't be used more times than once. Problem is that the key is made out of two parts - one of which is static (base key or password of 104 bits) and the other one is dynamically perpended to the key... But the length of this dynamic key is 24 bits - which means that after 2^24 packet is sent we experience key re-usage = prone to cryptographic attacks. Also .11b lacks the static key management protocol, therefore it is static and doesn't change until it is changed manually (unless complimentary protocols are implemented by the manufacturer).

If you use Radius, I would suggest to switch to .11g protocol, where WPA can be utilized. Beware of WPA for SOHO users, that is prone to attacks as well - but with the combination with Radius the gates are stronger.

 I believe that if you go:
http://www.wi-fi.org/
You might get a better picture of standing standards... And if you google for WEP you should find plenty to read as well...

Thank you and have a nice day...

Tomas Wolf

Gaspar de Elías wrote:
hello
I'm an isp, and i'm providing internet to my customers via wireless,
authenticating with a radius server on freeBSD. My question is the
folowing: Can somebody sniff the wireless conections, crack WEP
alghoritm, and cheat his mac and ip addresses in order to steal
information from one of my customers?
A friend told me that doing this is incredibly easy, so i'm investigating. What should i implement to make my wireless lan more secure?