Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless access

From: John S.Whitford <jswhitford () acm org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:25:35 -0600

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:42:16 -0500, you wrote:

How do you handle wireless network security in a corporate environment? A
couple of the people here want me to setup a wireless network so visitors
can setup there laptop in a conference room, or anywhere in the office and
connect to the network, internet not our internal network. I'm not to
comfortable with this idea but I don't have the final say. It sounds like I
would have to leave MAC access control turned off, or obtain the users MAC
address then enter it into control list, and also provide the visitor with
the SSID and the WEP password. Am I correct in this assumption. Wireless
networking was suppose to make things easier in their eyes. Unless I leave
everything wide open it's probably easier to plug an Ethernet cable in the
PC.

I'd put the access point outside the firewall if you have the public DHCP address space. If not I'd put it on an
isolated DMZ
segment. SSID of "meetingroom" or "visitor" with WEP disabled. That gives them the Internet with no more rights than
any other
outsider.

HTH

Best Regards,

John S. Whitford CCNA

Whitford Enterprises
Cisco Systems Registered Partner
Microsoft Technical Partner
APC Authorized Reliability Provider

832-594-4825 mobile
jswhitford () acm org

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html