Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless access

From: "Dante Mercurio" <Dante () webcti com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:44:47 -0500

First off, have him tip off the neighbor that his wireless is completely
insecure.

Then, go into the Advanced config of the wireless connection, you will
see a box that shows the known wireless hosts and the order they will be
attached to. Make sure his wireless router SSID is listed above his
neighbor's.

Then make sure HIS wireless is as secure as possible. For most home
systems, that means the following:
1) Do not broadcast SSID
2) Restrict access by MAC addresses
3) Use WEP