Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless access

From: Eric Brown <ericbrow () ziplip com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 04:34:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,
Wes gives excellent advice that I'd like to elaborate on just a bit.  I would change the SSID to some combination of
random or odd alpha-numeric characters (just so long as it isn't obvious like "linksys" or his dog's name), and if the
wireless router supports it, turn off broadcasting the SSID to make it a little more difficult to find.

Then implement WEP over the wireless network.

But do keep in mind, if there's any kind of h4x0r in the neighborhood, even the WEP can be cracked.

Eric