Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless access

From: "Dante Mercurio" <Dante () webcti com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:58:33 -0500

Robert,

This is tricky. The problem is not implementation, but making management
understand that an unsecured connection to the Internet may leave the
company liable for what happens over it, even if they can't access your
internal network. For example, imagine a drive-by scanner gets your
unsecured access point from the parking lot. He then proceeds to use
your Internet connection to distribute the latest unreleased Britney
Spears video. Who do you think they are going to go after? I'm no
lawyer, but I do know there is a burden to prove 'Due Diligence' in
protecting your network, and an unsecured wireless (even on a DMZ) may
leave you open to litigation.

The solution I've used in this situation is to implement EAP
authentication to a RADIUS server with the access point on the DMZ. When
the client connects, they are prompted for a username and password that
authenticates against the RADIUS server. Once authentication occurs,
they are associated with the AP and encryption keys are distributed
automatically. No need to copy huge WEP keys over, and no need to add
MAC addresses to the AP. No need to touch the client, you just give them
the logon info. The only drawback is that legacy clients may not work.

Good Luck,
M. Dante Mercurio
dante () webcti com
Consulting Group Manager