Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless access

From: "Rosado, Rafael (Rafael)" <rarosado () lucent com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:59:49 -0700

Robert,

To setup wireless to allow guests to access the network while authorized
employees can access your corporate network, you will need to setup VLANs
(Virtual LANs) to segregate the access and traffic.  This can be
accomplished with Layer 2/3 switches.  It can also be accomplished by
several access points (Cisco, Foundry, Proxim, other) via the APs ability to
manage multiple SSIDs (Bernard Aboba from Microsoft wrote some documents
about how to properly implement Virtual APs via APs that have Multiple SSID
features -
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/11-03-154r1-I-Virtual-Access-Points.doc
and http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/virtual-APs.ppt).

Rafael Rosado, CISSP, CISA
Network Security Manager
Lucent Technologies
IT Infrastructure - Network Design
2400 SW 145th Avenue
Miramar, Florida 33027
Office: 954-885-2176
Facsimile: 954-885-3861
Email: rarosado () lucent com

This electronic mail message contains information belonging to Lucent
Technologies, which may be confidential and/or legal privileged. The
information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action
in reliance on the contents of this electronically mailed information is
strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please
immediately notify us by electronic mail and delete this message.