Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless access

From: Kenton Smith <ksmith () chartwelltechnology com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:27:25 -0700

Yes most SOHO routers do have this and you should most definitely use it. Usually you have to turn it on and then just input the MAC addresses of the machines that are allowed to connect. One that I have has the ability to do the opposite, but I fail to find the usefulness in that. As far as ease of use, that's user dependant, but is is typically set using the router's web interface. Most times it's in the Advanced section and I think that tends to scare people.

Kenton

Paul John Summers wrote:

And addendum to that question, do any wireless routers contain tools so that you can block all but specific hardware addresses? That is, my home wireless router would block all but my hardware address, much like hard-wired networks often require registration of hardware addresses before allowing a new system to access it. I do believe there are methods of spoofing hardware addresses but that aside, do wireless routers have capabilities for this sort of thing that a home user could easily administer to better secure their home network?

Disclaimer: I'm also a newbie so please forgive any misconceptions or false assumptions!

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html