Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Caching a sniffer

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:09:17 -0300

At 23:39 20/03/2004 +1100, ksaenz () spinaweb com au wrote:

If you have a decent network switch in your environment
you can disable all it's port to allow promiscuous mode
across the network.

Promiscous mode is something network-interface specific.
An attacker could use arp poisoning to fool your switch.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html