Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Caching a sniffer

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:12:27 -0800

  I'm aware of SPAN, of course.  I use it routinely to *enable*
sniffing, not PREVENT it.  (I took "Caching" to be an obvious
misspelling of "Catching" -- was that my mistake?)

  What I don't see is how it can be described as "disable all it's
port to allow promiscuous mode across the network", which sounds
like maybe it means a switch command to either prevent client
devices from going into promiscuous mode, or shut down the switch
ports of clients who do.  If such a command existed, it would be
a great way to prevent users from sniffing each other's traffic,
but I don't believe it does.

David Gillett