Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

From: "Mortis" <m0rtis () adelphia net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:25:43 -0500

Are you arguing that any service offered over the
internet is tacit approval for *everyone* to use
that service?

Yes.  Although I would substitute 'attempt to use'.

Any program listening for traffic on a public ip address
should expect contact from any other public ip address.
It's not controllable from the listening end.

Access control is the responsibility of the service
provider.  Connections can be restricted based on many
criteria (IP, password, token, certificate, etc) if desired.

Assuming that my interpretation of your writing
is correct, you would support unsolicited bulk
email.  After all, you have an email address
and your mail server (or the firewall through
which it passes) has a public IP address, right?
After all, I got your email and I'm not on your
private netweork.

Oh, sure, make me support the spammers. ;)

A spammer has just as much right to send a syn packet to my
port 25 as anyone else.  I don't need to accept the
connection or the message.

I can set up a mail server that will only accept messages
from a special 'white list' of senders.  Or one that
requires SSL with client authentication.

I can still complain about most unsolicited commercial
email.  It is usually a violation of their TOS.

Here are some internet phishers:
http://www.archive.org/
http://www.opte.org/
http://news.netcraft.com/
http://www.isi.edu/scan/mercator/maps.html
http://www.google.com/bot.html

Should they be shut down?
--
Mortis

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html