Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:51:29 +0100

On 2004-03-17 Charley Hamilton wrote:
There is no place to publish open ports, accepted protocols, and
authorized users.

Authorized users are told they are authorized users.  If you are not
an authorized user, what difference does it make what protocols are
accepted?

Then how do I become an authorized user of www.google.com?

[...]
The "reasonable man" hypothesis applies to connecting to a system to
which authorization is in doubt.  Would a reasonable man conclude that
http://www.cnn.com is an acceptable connection in the absence of
explicit permission?  I would say yes, he would. Would a reasonable
man conclude that ftp://www.cnn.com is an acceptable connection in the
absence of explicit permission? I would argue no, he would not.
What's the difference?  HTTP is generally accepted to be a public
connection, in the sense that it is intended as a shared resource, to
be accessible to all.  FTP is not generally accepted as such,
regardless of what electronic storefront happens to be offering the
service.

That's simply not true.

Similarly, www.foo.com is generally expected to be a public http
server.  Therefore, making an HTTP connection to that server is
reasonable.  accounts-payable.foo.com is *not* generally expected to
be a public http server.  Therefore, it is not reasonable to assume
that it would be offering public http services.  Any such services
would reasonably be intended for authorized users only.

No.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html