Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

From: "Yvan Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:29:56 -0600

Authorized users are told they are authorized users.

Where?!?

Perhaps I'm not aware of it, but is there an "authorized
user/service"
database on the internet?  I must have missed that.

A far more important distinction to be made here is that any service which
requires authorization should explicitly advertise the requirement for
authentication.

If you are running a service that is available to the public (i.e. listening
on the internet) then if you do not wish it to be accessible to the public
you must implement a mechanism of locking the door.  The analogy of a port
being a door is not accurate; a port is exactly that, a portal into a
system.  The access control mechanism implemented to control access would be
the door.  Connecting to the port is the equivalent of identifying if there
is a way into a building.  If you complete the connection you are attempting
to open the door.  This is the where the key concept of security comes in.
If the user attempts to open the door it can be locked or unlocked.  If the
door is locked then it can be assumed that a user is not authorized unless
properly authenticated.

If you do not implement a mechanism of controlling who can open the door
then you have made a publicly available service publicly accessible.  If the
user does not have legitimate access they can attempt to circumvent
controls.  This is the distinction between an attack and a port scan.

Regards,

Yvan Boily
Information Security Analyst
Seccuris

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html