Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

From: ~Kevin Davis³ <computerguy () cfl rr com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:09:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

On 2004-03-17 Charley Hamilton wrote:
There is no place to publish open ports, accepted protocols, and
authorized users.

Authorized users are told they are authorized users.  If you are not
an authorized user, what difference does it make what protocols are
accepted?

Then how do I become an authorized user of www.google.com?

Not by port scanning them and finding that port 80 is open.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html