Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OT: LInksys router BEFSR41 dead... anything i can do?

From: Ed Budd <ebudd () grokking org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 08:02:52 -0400

Bruyere, Michel wrote:
Hi, I have a router BEFSR41 that went dead after a firmware update
(IIRC it was 1.47 that I tried to load into it). This was some time ago,
so I'm not 100% sure on the version. Anyway, after the flash "completed
successfully" I couldn't access the management interface anymore. I
called Linksys and got the answer that I had to buy another router,
which I did (of another brand!). I actually look to "revive" this router
by pushing a 3rd party FM in it. Is it possible to achieve this w/o the
web interface?
Any docs on this would be appreciated and/or personal experience too.

It's been a little while since I've used Linksys models but I don't think you need to use the web interface at all to load firmware. Just go to the linksys site, lookup the model you want and manually download the zipped file. In it you should find a simple tftp utility for loading the firmware. At least that's how I've done it in the past. Whether you can use their utility to load 3rd party binaries I can't say since I've never tried it but would be interested to hear the results if you attempt it.

Kills me that tech support would tell you to buy another router. Did they at least suggest a hard reset before trying to pry more money out of your hands?

EB

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html