Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: recommended honeynet configuration

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:56:21 +0200

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:39:29PM -0400, steve wrote:
Have a project where we are able to set up a honeynet in order to learn from
the damage/results.  We have hardware and network connectivity apart from
our regular production network.  I think it would be interesting to maybe
set up a few machines on the honeynet, running various OSes and web servers
such as:
    Windows NT / IIS 4
    Windows 2000 / IIS 5
    Windows 2003 / IIS 6
    FreeBSD / Apache

I guess to make this a true honeynet we should do the base installs of each
OS and not patch them.  We need a firewall to restrict outbound but allow
inbound to the open ports.  We need to log events while keeping intruders
from knowing they are being monitored.  We need to analyze the data.

Is this the hardware above the right mix?  Should we have other services
running like SMTP and FTP?  Should we add other hardware like a router to be
exploited?  Has anyone run such a project and have recommendations / lessons
learned?  How to best save off the logs for review to determine impact? What
does the group think?

It depends highly on what you want to find out. How attacks in general
work or the risks to your production network? If it's the impact on
your production network the services and patchlevels should be about the
same. Same applies to additional hardware.
If it's more about the general idea how attacks work, you'll perhaps
want to add a few linux-boxes with standard distribution (suse, red hat,
debian) and standard services (ftp, ssh, telnet, http, https, ntp, smtp,
pop3, imap, ...). But in this case you'll always have the problem that
there is a wide variety of combinations and you simply can't get them
all in your net.
You'll perhaps also want to test how attacks on systems with most recent
patchlevel are done.

For the logging I'd put in a hub and add a linux with tcpdump. To
prevent it from beeing seen I'd put in some iptables rules that prevent
this box from sending any network packets.
The logs of the hopefully compromised boxes are perhaps not worth much
since a part of an attack could be to change the logfiles. And I have no
idea how to prevent that with windows.

Hope this helps, further questions are welcome.

Florian

--
"...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."