Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: home wireless router good practices for security

From: Greg Tracy <greg () sixx com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:13:52 -0500

Everyone so far has suggested that you change your SSID, which is good
practice because it will at least tell a wardriver or hacker that you know
enough to have likely disabled most of the defaults that are set on the AP
out of the box. I set my SSID to "Ireadmylogs" and have gotten some
interesting feedback from friends who have happened through my neighborhood.
Setting WAP has a similar effect. The fact that there are soooooo many home
users that never use WAP will make a stronger 128 bit key unattractive. It's
much easier to go after the guy next door who has no protection. Besides,
under normal use you're talking hours upon hours of packet grabbing to have
enough weak ones to try to run a WEP cracker against. I imagine that you'd
see the guy sitting at your curbside next to your garbage with his laptop by
that time. :) I have my WAP set to email me my logs and it helps me to keep
tabs on the situation, so I'd recommend that as well. Firewalls are a must
anyway, and wireless makes them even more necessary. Another idea I haven't
seen posted yet is to use SSL to get your email, if your provider allows and
you're really paranoid. As I said, I've been using 128 bit WAP for a while
now and have seen little or no problem with performance.

Greg