Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Domain HiJacking by SPAMMERS

From: Ed Weinberg <nylug () q5comm com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:51:23 -0500

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:35, Jude Naidoo wrote:
The only thing you can do is , as Bryan mentioned, find out via whois what
the originating IP is and contact their ISP. Then stay on the ISP's case
until you get some sort of details on the user, if they will let you have
it. If you do get an email address for the spammer, send them some hate-mail
threatening legal action.
Unfortunately from what I have seen lately, most spam comes from either
China, hijacked desktops, or mis-configured proxies.

You can't get a response from China (accounts there are under
$3US/month), and ISP's will not sniff the hijacked desktops to see who
is actually sending the spam.

I already have all IP addresses from China in my server's blacklist.

--
Ed Weinberg <nylug () q5comm com>

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!