Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Domain HiJacking by SPAMMERS

From: "Matt Atkins" <matthewsatkins () msn com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:58:30 -0700

From: "Ho Chaw Ming" <chawming () pacific net sg>
I would be interested too, since we got a client who got "attacked" in such
a way yesterday. We received an estimated 30,000 bounced emails alone from
the fake reply to email address in a matter of hours. The data center
received hundreds of ill-informed abuse reports.

Are you sure that the bounced emails that you've gotten recently aren't from the Mydoom virus? We have also been bombarded with NDR's, but it's because the virus is spoofing email addresses from our domain. You might want to look at the bouce back message and determine if this is the same issue that the original poster is experiencing.

Let the new MSN Premium Internet Software make the most of your high-speed experience. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------