Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Domain HiJacking by SPAMMERS

From: "Ho Chaw Ming" <chawming () pacific net sg>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:00:06 +0800

I would be interested too, since we got a client who got "attacked" in such
a way yesterday. We received an estimated 30,000 bounced emails alone from
the fake reply to email address in a matter of hours. The data center
received hundreds of ill-informed abuse reports.

We took a sample and they trace to US and Europe, from a large variety of
ISPs, leading us to believe it's probably compromised machines.

I would thus be interested too to hear about how this can be resolved. We
don't wish to terminate the client, or ask him to move, but this causes us
tremendous resources to deal with. At the same time,  we don't want
ill-informed reports to cause us to be blacklisted by ISPs or Spam lists.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

regards