Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Domain HiJacking by SPAMMERS

From: Alejandro Flores <alejandro.flores () triforsec com br>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:47:26 -0300

        Hello there,

        The basic problem, is that anyone can 'forge' an e-mail. Not all
servers will ask you for authentication.
        This is an old trick used by spammers. They forge the sender 'cause if
the mail gets bounced, it will go to someone else. Another thing is that
many smtp servers check if the sender domain exists (MAIL FROM:
someone () somecompany com). So, they use anyone's domain in order to get
their mail (SPAM) routed.

Regards,
Alejandro Flores

I would be interested too, since we got a client who got "attacked" in such
a way yesterday. We received an estimated 30,000 bounced emails alone from
the fake reply to email address in a matter of hours. The data center
received hundreds of ill-informed abuse reports.

We took a sample and they trace to US and Europe, from a large variety of
ISPs, leading us to believe it's probably compromised machines.

I would thus be interested too to hear about how this can be resolved. We
don't wish to terminate the client, or ask him to move, but this causes us
tremendous resources to deal with. At the same time,  we don't want
ill-informed reports to cause us to be blacklisted by ISPs or Spam lists.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

--TriForSec
http://www.triforsec.com.br/

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!