Security Basics mailing list archives

Prevent modems rather than detect them (Was: tool for detect modems in a lan)

From: Alessandro <a.bottonelli () infinito it>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:02:59 +0100

Inspired by the previous thread, I am asking myself (but my experience of
telephony is way too outdated to answer my own question...): do "modern"
(whatever that means) private exchanges have a feature to distinguish between
true voice calls/fax AND data calls? If so, one could just configure them to
block data calls whether inward or outward.

Another way to prevention would be to provide non-standard telephone lines to
the desktops. I once worked for a company where the extensions where provided
with digiltal lines that where proprietary. No ISDN TAs and no analog modems
would work.

The other side of the coin is of course... money. Non standard telephone
terminals are probably going to be more expensive than standard ones, but you
may end up spending less money than chasing modems throughout a large
organization and with more peace of mind that your company security policies
are enforced (at least on this particular modem issue).

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
CISSP & BS 7799 Lead Auditor

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!