Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Catching Firewall?

From: Tony Kava <securityfocus () pottcounty com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:33:22 -0600

Was asked to look into maybe putting in a Linux box in front
of our mail server to stop the massive amounts of email
attachments we have been receiving as of late due to
'MyDoom'. We currently have a WG FireBoxII and software on
our Mail Server that is supposed to be catching everything,
but with so much coming in it's missing alot. I was wondering
if anyone had any ideas on some type of solution for this,
all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jason:

You could easily setup a Linux box (pick your favorite flavor) and use
sendmail coupled with something like MailScanner
(http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner).  There are a number of mail
gateway filtering projects out there if you search using Google
(www.google.com) or visit SourceForge (www.sf.net) for open-source projects.

You can setup sendmail to relay mail for your domain on to your current mail
server.  Alternatively you could use a commercial product such as Trend
Micro InterScan VirusWall which as I recall is actually sendmail integrated
with their antivirus utilities.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Regards,

--
Tony Kava
Senior Network Administrator

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!