Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Catching Firewall?

From: Megan Golding <mgolding () secureworks com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:18:15 -0500

From: Brian Guy [mailto:brian () sambizsys com]

We managed to not get a single MyDoom e-mail with the config below.
This approach blocks about 95% of our spam overall.

Thanks for sharing, Brian. I really like your three-step solution.

2.  Advosys Mail Filter filters out dangerous attachments, as
defined by you.  You decide what file extensions can come through,
what gets blocked.  We block all executable and script extenstions,
but we allow PDF and a few others.

How do you (and others) handle ZIP attachments? Allow them thru cause users
need to get big files from one place to another? Or block them cause they
can contain viruses?

To minimize email attachments flying around, I've set up something like an
extranet site for sales people to share documents with prospects without
sending email attachments.

Megan Golding -- www.SecureWorks.com -- (404) 486-4452
             Rock-solid Internet security.
             No hassles. No headcount. No capital outlay.
 check out my security blog: http://zeroeffect.blogspot.com

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php