Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hidden Ports

From: "Dimitri Bertolami" <Dimitri () staf pi be>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:49:20 +0100

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/p/ping_door.asp

this is one of the best backdoors ;-)

you have to ping the compromised host with a certain packetsize (or
packettype, like SYN) before it will open the
port.so a simple nmap on the target won't reveal the opened port...
good antivirus detects this, but a good hacker can also make this undetected
for antivirussoftware by only changing
a couple of bytes with any free hexeditor software. so to make sure you got
rid of the virus completely :

format c:\

hope this was an interesting read for the group ,

kind regards,
Dimitri Bertolami
Secondline Team
Scarlet NV.