Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hidden Ports

From: Jamie Pratt <jamie () nucdc org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 01:47:33 -0500

Dont ever trust netstat/lsof or any other *NIX binary to show you the truth -if your *NIX box has been rootkit'ed, and/or hacked, these system-based binary tools are often changed/modified to hide any ports the intruder might be using - google for a perl script that will query /proc entries for the real processes going on.. (or email me offlist and I can send you one) or use nmap on the local host and if you have a local firewall (iptables/chains/ipfilter etc) running, shut it down briefly for the scan if possible - nate is right, the location of where you scan from can always change results a bit if there are routers/firewalls in the middle...

(fport is fine on windows tho - that should always work, or use 'Vision' - also from foundstone, but is a gui based tool instead that does the same thing)

just my 2 cents anyhow! :-)

regards,
jamie

nate wrote:

Would recommend that on a windows box locally run FPORT from foundstone, on
a *NIX box I would use a netstat to view what ports are open.
A port scanner could possibly see it or it may not depending on if it is
over the internet or if it is on the lan or if it is local to the machine
can affect some of the results.