Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Help installing Nmap

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:27:23 -0800

From: Alejandro Flores [mailto:alejandro.flores () triforsec com br]

You're trying to install or upgrade your nmap?
try adding --nodeps to your rpm command line.

I wouldn't recommend turning off dependency checking, seaming a
dependency could have changed between the installed version
and the new one.

Here are some good tips on using RPM:

  Use the -F 'freshen' command:
  rpm -Fvh nmap-3.50xxx.rpm

  Sometimes the -U 'upgrade' switch works ok:
  rpm -Uvh nmap-3.50xxx.rpm

  If none of that works, you can force the install:
  rpm -ivh --force nmap-3.50xxx.rpm

  Or you can remove the old package (nmap-frontend) and then remove the
old nmap and install the new one. I suggest you go grab apt-get while
your at it, very useful tool if you don't have it already
http://freshrpms.net/apt/.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA