Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows private folder option decryption

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:05:09 -0500

[snip]
Does anyone know of any tools and/or procedures that I could use to get
around this, either by decrypting the files via knoppix or by any other means.
[snip]

I've run into this a handful of times myself. Assuming he knows the
password used to secure these folders, the best solution I've used is
to put the clients hard drive on another system running WinXP:

1. Install client HDD into 2nd system with WinXP
2. Boot second system; check that HDD is recognized
3. Create a new user using the user/pass of the client with private folders
4. Logout/Login using that new account (be sure it's an admin)

You should now be able to access the private folders and simply
drag-n-drop for recovery, burn to CD, whatever. This has worked for me
numerous times. Note that this only works when they have selected
"Make my folders/profile private" and NOT if EFS has been used. Best
of luck and HTH.

--
Peace. ~G