Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password protect encrypted directory

From: "Kelly D. Lucas" <lucaskeli () fastmail fm>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:06:15 -0500

Windows XP support the Encrypted File System [EFS], as you probably already know. I think once someone has physical access, most security mechanisms will fail. I use OpenSSL to encrypt files, and when used with the 3DES algorithm, I think it will provide good security, and require a password to decrypt the file.

The problem, is that once the file is decrypted, if it is altered it would need to be encrypted again, and the decypted file deleted. This would need to happen every time, and by the user of the file.

If a user has physical access, and you cannot assume that the authenticated user is actually that user, this becomes a much more difficult problem to solve. It breaks the MicroSoft security model, and unless the password is of sufficient length, a brute-force attack would break into it soon enough.

Lucas

K.D. Lucas
lucaskeli () fastmail fm