Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password protect encrypted directory

From: Dave Dearinger <daved () mdon-line com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:32:22 -0700

I would personally recommend PGP Desktop software http://www.pgp.com
I use the PGP disk software to keep disk partitions and folders encrypted.
From the pgp.com website
"PGP DiskTransparently creates volumes whose contents are encrypted when not in use, preventing unauthorized access. PGP Disk includes options that enable it to automatically unmount a disk after a specified period of inactivity, even with files open, or when a computer goes into Sleep Mode. PGP Disk is especially critical for laptop computers, which are vulnerable to being lost or stolen. (Note that this component is not equivalent to PGP Corporate Disk, an information-storage security solution that combines desktop disk security, IT configuration and deployment tools, and advanced key and Additional Decryption Key [ADK] features for users of PGP Universal.)"

-Dave Dearinger
-Network Administrator
-MD-Online Inc.
-daved () mdon-line com
-1-888-397-3434
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from any computer.