Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ICMP (Ping)

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 07:04:44 -0400

Well, if you have a good set of rules, you can make it harder for attacker to find out that your nod is there... It is possible to find out if it is really there or not by issuing several different scanns with different flags on -- and observing the response packets. If I ping you, then I know that there is a machine and from that point on it is a matter of will... Gathering info & sooner or later attack on a volnurable services or some nodes around that could reveal more about your traffic, social engineer whoever could know anything about it... By other words, one shouldn't get easily discovered by blind network ping scans.
That is all to my knowledge...
Tomas

Paul Kurczaba wrote:

Are there any security issues for allowing a firewall/router to respond to
Ping from the internet?

-Paul Kurczaba

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com