Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: "Jay Woody" <jay_woody () tnb com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:05:58 -0500

I don't think that maintaining a RFC standard for the sake of
maintaining the standard is necessarily worth your company experiencing
an outage.  Those standards are exactly that, a standard.  They are what
should be done.  They are put in place mainly so that everyone knows how
to interact with each other.  If you changed something and made yourself
non-RFC compliant in something like SMTP, that would be one thing,
because everyone NEEDS to know that everyone is doing it a certain way.
Everyone doesn't NEED to ping me.  In a perfect world, you should always
maintain standards obviously.  However, in this world, you make changes
based upon your needs and requirements and you tell your business
partners, "This is how you need to do it to do business with me."

My business could care less if the entire world can ping me and know I
am up.  I want my customers to know and my partners.  Everyone else can
go take a leap.  All we needed was one denial of service attack hitting
us and they determined that the amount of time it took to trouble-shoot
it and fix it were not worth what they got by allowing random people
around the world to "test" and see if we were up.

Certain RFC's matter to the world.  Certain ones don't.  This is one
that the world has determined it is acceptable to violate.  The
"Security through Obscurity" that most people rag on is trying to mask
or mislead your attacker into believing that you are running something
different (different OS, etc.) and most people blast that because there
are 15 different ways to tell an OS, so you block one, big deal.  If you
are patched then you shouldn't need to obscure it.  In this case I am
hiding the existence of a box because even if I am patched and proper I
am still vulnerable to being pinged out of existence.  The time it takes
me to daily enter 15 people to drop packets from just isn't worth it.

Until I have a real business reason for NEEDING a ping (other than just
to maintain a RFC Standard), then I drop them.  If I NEEDED the ping
then I would worry about trying to manage the settings, etc.  My 2
cents.

JayW

Tony Kava <securityfocus () pottcounty com> 09/03/03 11:20AM >>>
What about compliance with standards? ICMP echo is a useful diagnostic
tool,
and not responding to ICMP echo is not an effective means of
protecting
yourself.  I believe members of this list have often cited the lack of
value
found in 'security by obscurity'.  I do not wish to suggest that
allowing
all types of ICMP traffic is a safe practice, but ICMP echoes should
be
accepted and replies should be sent unless you have blocked them in
order to
mitigate a denial of service attack or because you believe the source
of the
request is malicious in nature.

== RFC 1122 snippet ==

3.2.2.6  Echo Request/Reply: RFC-792

Every host MUST implement an ICMP Echo server function that
receives Echo Requests and sends corresponding Echo Replies.
A host SHOULD also implement an application-layer interface
for sending an Echo Request and receiving an Echo Reply, for
diagnostic purposes.

An ICMP Echo Request destined to an IP broadcast or IP
multicast address MAY be silently discarded.

== end of snippet ==

Just my two cents, as it were.

--
Tony Kava