Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: "Gerard Marshall Vignes" <gerardmarshallvignes () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:20:27 -0700

The applicable tenet from encryption is that the encryption method is known,
while the key is kept secret. This is taken to an extreme today, where many
common encryption methods are published openly. This is why attackers
usually try to get the keys. These encryption methods are both efficient and
effective.

If you read about the Allies cracking of Ultra (Shark, Enigma) during WWII,
you can see the relevance of this tenet.  The German use of rotors and plugs
seemed to make it an invincible encryption engine.  But the Bletchley staff
understood the basic mechanism and devised a way to
Separate the effects of the rotors from the effects of the plugs.  As it
turned out, the plugs contributed very little to the security of Ultra.  The
Germans would have done better by using more rotors (5-10) and left the
plugs out completely. The result would have been a somewhat larger but
simpler machine that was easier to use but far more difficult to crack.

Please feel free to flame me for butting in w/o being invited  :-)