Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ICMP (Ping)

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 08 Sep 2003 10:33:57 -0700

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 21:29, Tomas Wolf wrote:
I think that between you two is a little misunderstanding. One is
pointing out those who are challenged by the "hidden", while the other
one is talking about kiddies scanning blindly huge IP ranges (even
dial-up, dsl & cable), where about those thousands and thousands
"unreachables" it would be just one IP that is not assigned, or the host
wasn't up....

So both of you are right... If one is looking to penetrate the site or
scans small range, this will become a target... While on the other hand
this site won't become a target (most likely) for a ping-scanning kiddie
that runs it in 195.X.X.X range.

good luck -- T.

Right, there's no right or wrong, it just depends on what the attacker
is using and how they are doing it.  As I stated, both are used, but
people stated that the one (just probing or not relying on ping
I've seen it otherwise, and in fact, it's more logical to not rely on
pings.  Not just because it's more logical, but because, as I said, this
is what I've seen.  Other's experience may determine otherwise, for
them, but it is a reality on all the systems and networks I've seen.
--
Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm