Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Filtered v. Closed v. Open

From: "Hagen, Eric" <ehagen () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:15:45 -0600

When queried with a TCP SYN:

Open port is supposed to return SYN-ACK to indicate ready to recieve
Closed port is supposed to return RST to indicate port not ready
Filtered port returns nothing because traffic is not allowed to pass.

If you don't know about SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK/RST, read up on the TCP protocol
handskake a bit.

Eric Hagen